Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Early Morning Post?

It's 5:45 and I've been trying to fall asleep for an hour and a half, but no such luck.

I guess I'm pulling my last all nighter as a Junior. Right before my organic chem final. Whoops?

Of course I made use of my time up! Unfortunately, I learned a few things:

First a bit of a previous lesson. My SLR saddle, god bless it's light weight, is too narrow for me. I've never had that issue before, and I was always comfortable on it, but I had a spree of saddle sores after rides. So I swapped to an older, heavier, saddle: The titanio 200. No longer made, unfortunately, as it's also a favorite of a good friend CDR/SDC

Using my current saddle on my thomson seatpost, I've realized that I can't get enough setback to be at the position that was recommended to me. This means that my two 'nice' pieces of equipment on my bike are no longer on it. Pity...

Recently, my fit was adjusted and my cleats were moved forward, my saddle back, and my stem shortened. This is a little unfortunate since I was *JUST* started to dig my old position with the longer stem and saddle slightly higher and more forward (Crit style, as some would say). However, after riding on the new position for a bit, I found that my sustainable wattage for intervals went up pretty drastically. Some of it is fitness, but some of it has to do with the fit.

As long as I don't have to drop below my current 90mm stem, I think I'll survive. Otherwise I'll be aching to get back to the way things were earlier when I was comfortable in the drops for an entire race at a time.

I suppose I could run my 120mm stem flipped up as I've been doing, but I'm hoping that the 90mm stem provides the same reach and comfort. If not, I'll have to give up style for comfort. What a bother!

Time to try getting an hour or two of sleep. I suppose toying with the bike under sleep deprived conditions was a good use of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment