Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend Recap and Getting Cut Up (again)

I went home this past weekend to visit the folks and for my sister's 13th birthday. It was good to see everyone.

I did the road race for the Tour of Lancaster county. By 'did the road race' I mean that I got a DNF. There's a rough anaerobic hill on the course and hitting that for the 3rd time just caused me to blow. I chased and caught on after the hill, but a small hill right after that caused me to explode pretty spectacularly. I DNF'ed for the first time all year. Happens sometimes...

I had pre-regged for a circuit race on sunday, but the weather report wasn't promising at 5 am, and I didn't want to race in rain and thunderstorms. I went back to bed.

There's something about being home that just makes me feel completely exhausted and worthless. I have the hardest time motivating myself to ride or do anything. It's one of the funny reasons why I try to avoid going home for more than a day or two when I'm training. I plan them with my rest days, and go home and enjoy myself.
In other news, I have to start thinking of dates for the follow up plastic surgery that I have to have for my face. I'm trying to peak for the Tour of the Catskills in mid september, so I think I'm going to try to schedule the surgery for october or november. That allows for some time if something more needs to be done over the winter holidays.
I think I'll be looking for atleast a month off the bike, which will put me back to the same fitness I had in the early spring this year. Hopefully I can start training again in earnest in late December or early January so I can have some sort of fitness for the Bethel series.

I really don't want to go under the knife again because it means unnecessary time off the bike, but it'd be nice to have my face back again. Well, it'd be nice to not still have a broken nose in any event. Lets see how long the healing takes. I have a feeling that I'm going to be stupid and stubborn and hop onto the trainer to do some easy riding a few days after surgery. Getting outside to ride will be hard due to wind chill. I can't see that being good for nascent skin.

I guess I'll have to alternate between running, lifting, and riding on the trainer.
Then again, it's early August now, so I might as well enjoy the relative fitness while it's still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment